The EDP Foundation Art Collection was started in 2000 with the aim of encompassing several generations of contemporary Portuguese artists, as well as assorted expressions of artistic creation such as painting, photography, video and installation. Continuously evolving with yearly acquisitions, the collection comprises approximately 2,400 works by more than 330 artists.
Although the oldest piece dates back to 1942, chronologically, this collection was set to begin with the 1960s, a decade of revolutionary change not only in society, with the emergence of civil rights movements, the sexual revolution and counterculture protests, but also in art, with the rise of Pop Art, Minimalism and Conceptual Art, among many other movements. This was also the time when the Portuguese Electricity Company, the precursor of EDP (Energias de Portugal), was created.
Starting with works by artists such as Jorge Pinheiro, Ângelo de Sousa and Lourdes de Castro, and continuing to the following decades with Jorge Martins, Alberto Carneiro, Helena Almeida, Eduardo Gageiro and Luísa Correia Pereira, but also João Louro, Joana Vasconcelos, Leonor Antunes, Rui Toscano, among many others, the collection maps Portuguese art up to the present day by including artists from more recent generations, such as João Maria Gusmão + Pedro Paiva, André Romão, Mariana Silva or Horácio Frutuoso.
With the acquisition of the Pedro Cabrita Reis Collection in 2015, consisting of 388 works by 74 artists, the EDP Foundation holds now one of the most significant collections of contemporary Portuguese art from the turn of the 20th century.